Pages

Monday 12 September 2016

2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop

Hello Everyone, and Welcome to the first day of the 2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop.

Cloud9 have generously sponsored this blog hop and supplied all the participants with a fat quarter bundle of 'Berry Harvest' made up of five fat quarters from their Organic Cirrus Solids range and curated by the hosts Yvonne, Cheryl, and Stephanie. All the blocks made for the hop will be collected and made into quilts for donation.

Today's host is Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl.

So, without further ado, this is my block.


Barcodes

Size:  12" Finished
Skill Level:  Easy
Press all seams to the side unless otherwise indicated.
Use a scant 1/4inch seam throughout.

Step One
Cutting Instructions:

From the Background fabric cut
4 @ 1.5" x 3.5" rectangles
8 @  2" x 6.5" rectangles


From each of the four focus fabrics cut
5 @ 1" x 8" strips.


Step 2
Lay out the Amazon and Sky strips as shown.


 Join the strips together, first in pairs and then joining the pairs together to make a 5.5" x 8" rectangle.


Repeat using the Iris and Lilac strips. 


Trim each strip set into two rectangles 3.5" x 5.5".

Step 3


Take one strip set and join one 1.5" x 3.5" background rectangle to the short end, stitch, and press.


Stitch one 2" x 6.5" background strip to each long side, resulting in a 6.5" square unit.

Repeat with the other strip sets.

Step 4

Arrange the four units together as shown and sew into pairs.



Sew the pairs together carefully matching the centre seam.  It is helpful to press this seam open to avoid bulk.



Step 5
Sit back and enjoy your work.

Outtakes

I thought it might be fun to show you the blocks I made in practice.


This was my first block attempt, it's funny how it can look better on paper than made up.  As you can see I attempted to use different sized blocks to create a more random effect. One block was too large and my attempt to use one on the edge didn't work very well, it just looked odd.  What this does show however, is that it looks great in multicolours on the pale cream background and has great potential for a scrap quilt.  What you may also notice is in my rush to complete the block I didn't check my scant 1/4 inch seam.  No problem making a scrap version, I just added a couple of extra strips, bet you didn't even notice.

My second attempt was using fabric I had been given and some scraps from my bin.


Gruesome isn't it?  I went for colours to give me maximum contrast, big mistake.  I've got news for you, it looks worse in real life.  Well, we all make mistakes..........

Want to know how I sewed my accurate scan 1/4 inch seams?


First I measured, you see although I use a 1/4 inch foot I can't sew a straight line for toffee, so with the help of a wall made of about 10 strips of masking tape,


I have something to butt up against.  Resulting in more accurate, and much straighter, seams.

I hope you like my block, but if it was not to your taste, why not hop on over and check out some of the other blogs, after all, with 70 new blocks over three days you are bound to find some blocks you like, and maybe one or two you love.

Here are todays other participants: 

Abigail @Cut & Alter
Janice @Color, Creating, and Quilting!
Lorinda @Laurel, Poppy, and Pine
Melva @Melva Loves Scraps
Renee @Quilts of a Feather
Kathryn @Upitis Quilts
Kim @Leland Ave Studios
Amanda @this mom quilts
Holly @Lighthouse Lane Designs
Irene @Patchwork and Pastry
Jennifer @Dizzy Quilter
Karen @Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Anne @Said With Love
Suzy @Adventurous Applique and Quilting
Sharla @Thistle Thicket Studio
Kate @Smiles From Kate  (Me)
Amanda @Gypsy Moon Quilt Co.
Sarah @Sarah Goer Quilts
Chelsea @Patch the Giraffe
Jinger @Trials of a Newbie Quilter
Anja @Anja Quilts
Daisy @Ants to Sugar

Tomorrow's host is Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs and on Wednesday the host is Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter, so make sure you look in to see who else has new blocks to share.    You wouldn't want to miss anything would you?  

 I also believe there to be giveaways of Cloud9 fabric bundles on all three hosts blogs Yvonne, Cheryl and Stephanie and you definitely don't want to miss that.  

If you do make anything from my block it would be great if you would give me a mention, and maybe send me a pic so I can show everyone.  Now that would be so cool.........

Until next time,
Smiles from, 
Kate 


54 comments:

  1. Love this block and its name, Barcode! It's simplicity allows for the colors to sing. Making a quilt with this block would be so pretty. Good job with the tutorial Kate. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your block, Kate! I loved your outtake photos - they really don't look that bad. I laughed at your confession - I can't sew a straight line either unless it's drawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, what a great design and I like the name also, Barcodes is perfect! I really enjoyed seeing your design process. It would be a great scrap quilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your design, Kate. And I just might have to try your tape trick. I do struggle with consistent 1/4" seams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, this block is awesome! Wow your 1/4" seams rock! I would have a hard time sewing them as accurately as you, but I'd love to try because this block is beautiful. Great job, love the outtakes. You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kate I love Barcodes - what were you worried about?!!! It looks fantastic in the Cloud9 fabrics but would loook equally as good as a scrappy quilt. Well done - the photo tutorial is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it...it looks great in the cool Cloud 9 color way and in the warmer colors in your test blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yipes! Stripes!

    Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

    What a fun baby quilt this would make in a jungle themed nursery...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your skinny stripes! This would make a fab scrap quilt - thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I will be making this block...scrappy baby quilt maybe? It looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun block. I know I'll be making this into a modern mini and soon. Thanks for the block and the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun block. I know I'll be making this into a modern mini and soon. Thanks for the block and the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that you created stripes with your fabrics. The beauty of making it for a whole quilt is that you could strip piece all the strips and then slice them into sections. I wonder how it would look pairing the dark colors (Amazon and Iris) and the light colors (Sky and Lilac) for the stripe sets. I love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Barcode' is a cool name for caool block design. I like your test versions a lot too. It looks like a perfect scrap busting block to me =)
    Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a really fun block Kate! I love the skinny stripes! There have been some amazing blocks so far...
    I have a Pinterest board with all the blocks here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/38069559329318411/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This block instantly gave me a bit of a Pippy Longstocking vibe. I love the stripes and your name for the block is great, too. Thank you so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how this block lends itself to improv, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great name for your block - pretty colors. I use a wall to sew against too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol at your gruesome test block. I almost snorted my drink on that one. I really like your block. I think it would make a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clever name for you block! And I so appreciate your "out-takes" and tips. Many people forget that there is usually a great deal of time spent in the creation of a block or pattern. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is such a great name for this block Kate! I think a scrap quilt made using your block would be so pretty and I've just added it to my 'I want to make this' list! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love the one with the rainbow stripes! It would be a great block for scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great block Kate, simple is best . And not that simple , there's a lot of seams there to keep straight

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic block! I love that you played with the blues and purples separately. They really make an impact! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You created a really fun block that provides so many alternatives for color and fabric creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The block is fabulous and so is the name. Pheww something I'll like to make with all those scrappy strips I've been gathering. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool! This is a perfect block for playing with rainbow scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great block and great name for it! It really would make for a fantastic scrappy quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a fun block with an great name! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So gorgeous blocks,love them all.I spy a scrappy quilt with this design.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. love the look with the cirrus solids! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is a fun block. love the multi colors on white

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fun! I really like your design, Kate. And sending a major high-five for getting those straight lines on that softer-than-soft fabric. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a great block with a great name. The rainbow version is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the block! You did a great job. I also enjoyed the outtakes. Fun to see the reality...my practice blocks looked terrible - I made the mistake of asking for an opinion from my husband and he was trying so hard to be kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very nice Kate: I love this block! Sorry it took me a while to get here. It's a crazy week here!I really like the multicoloured version.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Okay, I really like this a lot! I love simple use of fabric that makes a big impact. This one really speaks to me. I like how it can really be used in a lot of ways. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stellar! What a good idea to collect all the blocks for donor quilts! XO

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm amazed at how different the blocks are! How do you do it without duplicating someone else's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie, thank you for commenting. It's a fair question, as a group there was no communication between us during the process, we just got on with it and kept our fingers crossed that no-one else was designing a similar block, or had made a block like it in the past. There are thousand of quilt blocks out there, you just have to search and try your best. I also checked with a couple of other quilters who have been quilting a long time if they had seen it either as it could have been in a book. In the end you just have to go for it.
      Smiles
      Kate

      Delete
  40. Such a cool block name, Kate! I love how linear this block is, yet for some reason makes me think of a modern take on spools?!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. A lovely block Kate; thank you for the tutorial. May I put it on my Pinterest board? (I'll have to find out how, first!)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your new block is so cool! I love the name and the look. Very clever. And thanks so much for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kudos for a fun block. So far I've hit two of these Cloud 9 blogs and both had great blocks. Now, I will definitely need to look at all of them! Thanks for a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is a great block! I like that you show all the versions you tried, including the less successful ones - there's always something to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Very nice block! I think I'll be making a pillow out of that block. Or a table runner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love your block Kate! Your tutorial is great!
    Thanks for the tip about the layers of masking tape ..... I really struggle to keep my seams a scant 1/4" ..... I already had a line of masking tape on my footplate, which hasn't really helped.
    I've just finished one of my SS blocks and even being careful it is 1/8" smaller than it should be .... now I'm off to build a wall!
    Thank you Kate!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your block - simple but very striking!!! Your practice blocks are even more impressive than the Cloud9 blocks :-)
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a great block! It would be perfect for scrap busting! Would you mind if I shared it sometime on my Tuesday Tutorial series?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great block with a perfect name! I've put it on my "must make" list. After finishing my block for this hop, I have a new appreciation for pattern designers. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautiful block! I loved seeing it in the different fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  51. It is a very nice block ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate