Pages

Wednesday 23 August 2017

I have no memory.........

I am so sorry, I got my weeks mixed up, last week I showed you this weeks Gypsy block and next weeks Gypsy block, but I forgot to show you last weeks, Oooops!  So I'm starting this post with what I forgot, reputed to be the most difficult block in the Gypsy Wife quilt'


Perishing.  It was a bit of a tricky one, but the centre is just a multiple square in a square, the awkward bit is the three triangles on the bottom with the bias edges, I had a bit of trouble with them, I just couldn't get them to sew together properly, until I realised I had cut the centre ones from a square a quarter inch too big.  Once I recut and started again it was much easier, then there was just the corner triangles and it was finished.  Mine isn't perfect, the orange corners don't quite meet the purple corner triangles, but it's close enough for me.  AND it's the right size too, one of the main issue is it often ends up too small, but the secret is extra scant seams.

I'm sure you will be glad to know Indi has been behaving herself this week and the curtain is back in place, in fact there were only two broken curtain hooks, the rest were still on the rings, how she managed to pull down the curtain leaving the hooks still in the rings I haven't a clue and it will go down as one of those unsolved mysteries I think.

Did I tell you I had a problem with my scissors?  I have several pair, the big shears I rarely use, the pinking shears I used once, and the smaller pairs I use all the time, only they keep disappearing, all the time I loose them, sometimes for months, do you ever find that?


These are my favourites.  The larger ones are Dovo as are the next ones up, I bought these about fourteen years ago, they were expensive but are still a pleasure to use, although the little ones could do with tightening and maybe sharpening now, only I don't know where to take them.  The next ones up are Appliquick and they have serrated edges, I've only had them couple of years and the serrated edges are lovely when cutting appliqué pieces.  Lastly my stork scissors, I bought those specially for embroidery, about 22 years ago.

Anyway, I lost the three small pair, I couldn't find them anywhere, I was convinced I had lost one pair at my sewing group, I searched and searched and couldn't find them anywhere, I was sad, not so much about the Appliquik ones, they are quite new, but the others I am attached to after all this time.  Then suddenly one day they all turned up in various places, the stork ones in a box of embroidery stuff, the small Dovo ones under my sewing table behind a basket, the appiquick ones in the bottom of my sewing box, the one I had searched several times hunting for missing scissors and other stuff.  All places I swear I had searched before, more than once too and how did they all turn up on the same day?  You know I live next to the woods and I'm sure there are mischievous elves living there who come in at night and hide my things, and good fairies who put them all back for me to find again.  Do you ever lose stuff?  Don't even get me started on thimbles and stitch rippers.

I'll tell you another thing I forgot to show you too, my embroidery.  I showed you where I was up to before I went to Higham Hall last time and forgot to show you my progress.


This was my small piece before I went, it didn't have much left to do.....


and this is it finished.  I added two attached leaves to the butterfly, they are made on calico using a wire frame so they stand out, the leaf on the right was added the same way.  Now all it needs is to be framed.


This is my ongoing big project.  I wasn't happy with the stitching on the top right, it was the first bit I did and my stitching has improved a lot since so I took it out......


and now look at it, the part on the bottom left on this pic, I am so happy with it.

But that's not all, I started another small piece


and made great progress.  That's not a spider by the way, it was supposed to be a spider but I don't like them, so I'm adding a colour pop and having a ladybird.   Yes I know it still looks a bit like a fat black spider but I'm going to attach red wings.   The butterfly on the first one was supposed to be a bee but I don't like them either, but as they are my embroideries I can give it my own twist, with the help of my wonderful teacher Angie of course.

I was going to show you some more quilting but time has got the better of me, so I will show you that next week.  Sorry if it's a bit of a boring post this week, but such is life.

How about a poem?  No poems are not boring, they can be quite lovely and thought provoking, you are getting one anyway..............

Slow Dance

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round,
or listened to rain slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly’s erratic flight,
or gazed at the sun fading into the night?

You better slow down, don’t dance so fast,
time is short, the music won’t last.

Do you run through each day on the fly,
when you ask “How are you?, do you hear the reply?
When the day is done, do you lie in your bed,
with the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down, don’t dance so fast,
time is short, the music won’t last.

Ever told your child, we’ll do it tomorrow,
and in your haste, not see his sorrow?
Ever lost touch, let a friendship die,
because you never had time to call and say hi?

You better slow down, don’t dance so fast,
time is short, the music won’t last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,
you miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through the day,
it’s like an unopened gift thrown away.

Life isn’t a race, so take it slower,
Hear the music before your song is over.
                     David L. Weatherford


Until next time,
with smiles from,

24 comments:

  1. Kate, your embroidery pieces look wonderful. You asked if we ever lose anything and then suddenly find it again. I have at least six tape measures of various length and sometimes all of them disappear. They eventually turn up, but I'm always missing them when I really need to measure something. I've also had scissors appear and disappear on me. I think there are tiny sewing elves rearranging things when I'm not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gypsy block! That is such a unique design. I hadn't heard of this quilt. I'm off to check it out now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely block and embroidery pieces! Drives me nuts when things disappear around here. Makes me feel I'm totally loosing my mind! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I misplace things all the time. I think it's "old age." Your block looks lovely. Wouldn't guess that it gave you trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stork scissors are highly sought after from what I hear. I used to misplace my thimbles but now since I have added to my collection purchasing thrifted sewing baskets, I have more than enough in reserve - and all retro metal ones ~ woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, that looks like perfect piecing to me, no matter in which week it belongs! Your embroidery is lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery is lovely. Perhaps you need a lanyard to keep those favorite scissors close by? Your Gypsy Wife is coming along well -- pretty blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those points to keep right in that block ! All my scissors disappear . My husband says the same about his . To be honest I think I'm the culprit . I think I need more scissors anyway as they all get used on paper and go blunt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, your work is always good. I think that Gypsy Wife block is gorgeous. One of my favorite ones you have made. It looks wonderful in spite of not being "perfect". Besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And this beholder thinks it is outstanding! Love your embroidery too, and the fact that you are making it your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours in your block. I didn't notice the purple didn't touch until you mentioned it. Your embroidery is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your block looks great. I would far prefer to have a bit of space between the points and the seams than cut them off, so I consider your blocks more than acceptable! I love the colours you're using for this quilt. I'm glad you showed your progress on your embroidery - I really love the softness of the colours on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, that poem really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing. It does feel like folks around me are whirling thru their lives without even noticing what's going on around them...

    I think your Gypsy Wife block looks great! If that's the hardest one, then you've got this totally nailed down :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lost things seem to turn up eventually, which may be years later. I think your poem says it best about the attitude we should have toward those happenings. Here we had odd breakdowns all in a few days and I was apt to blame it on our eclipse. Why not? Or maybe fairies. Most have been taken care of in very simple ways. So I won't stay awake. Your block is terrific. It looks perfect to me. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what lovely embroidery projects you are working on, the butterfly really caught my eye. Good to see your gypsy wife block well worth persevering with. Yes I know about losing things but I can`t blame the elves etc. Had mislaid a key to the sideboard for ages fortunately it was not locked but yesterday there it was in the middle of the utility room floor cannot have been there all the time as I had mopped the floor numerous times!
    Loving the poem will have to copy that into my little bok did you write it if so more of your poetry please

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely, thought provoking poem. One of your own, I assume? Great block, Kate. It's always good to be challenged! Even when it involves memory! I'm forever hunting something down. My work space is limited, so I have to try to keep things picked up. I just don't always put those things where they belong! Oh, that's not true. I just don't look in the right place! Glad you found your scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your embroidery is so beautiful I'm going to have to take my computer to show my MIL! She will love it as much as I do. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your embroidery projects are gorgeous! Hope you got in more stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely embroideries! I love how you made these your own by changing them a bit. Thank you for sharing these on Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate - Your embroidery is so beautiful! I love it. Pershing turned out great - the hardest part of Gypsy Wife is over! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of your work! Your Gypsy Wife block turned out beautifully!
    And I am in awe of your embroidery !
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your embroidery is absolutely gorgeous! Yes, I think that things slip into an alternate universe from time to time. The places they return to, if they return at all, are so strange that I know I didn't put them there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a pretty quilt block! Your embroider is so lovely, the finished piece such a beautiful butterfly. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think your block is pretty darn perfect! I can tell you're having fun with the Gypsy Wife blocks. Your embroidery is stunning. Love the neutral colors (and that spider is too cute!) I am a big fan of Dovo scissors myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very wise poem; something to remember. Yoga teaches to be fully present, live in the moment, yet I do find I scurry around sometimes like a crazy person. Like your switch to a ladybug (my mum calls them ladybirds too, but she's English). Kate, your embroidery takes my breath away. It's so 3D the first one especially, I really had a good look. Another Gypsy Wife block to love. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate