Pages

Wednesday 17 May 2017

My Busy week

This has been one of those weeks when I have little or nothing to show you but all weeks can't be blistering and that's ok.  It didn't stop it being exciting though.

Know what I did today?


Layered circles!  I can hear you all saying 'and about time too'.  I went to layer it on Saturday thinking I would have it at least part quilted for today, but disaster, my wadding was too small.  I had to order some more but my usual supplier was out of stock.  In came Amazon, I got a great price, same as my usual supplier but I added some Bosal and got free delivery, I was well pleased.  Now that I have hard flooring on my lounge floor i'm finding it difficult to layer my quilts there, I tried sticking it down with masking tape but it just kept coming off so in the end I did it on my bedroom floor so I could stick pins into the carpet.  I used 505 spray again, although I still haven't made my mind up about it yet.  How do you layer your quilts?

On Saturday when I couldn't layer circles I ended up on the sofa watching Outlander (Jamie Frazer, be still my beating heart) and hand stitching my binding on....


three of my mug rugs.  I had already machined it on to be honest so it literally was just hand stitching.  But its three down.....


five to go.  Don't ask!

By the way you know how I had problems with my card reader, then they sent me a code for another one as a replacement?  I used it last week, fine, used it this week, didn't work and got hot, same as the first one.  It is now in the bin, I'm not even going to bother contacting them again but I did give it a one star review on Amazon.  One is one of those things that happen with mass produced items two, no way.

Only thing is as I think I have already told you I've been having problems getting pics off my iPad, it kept crashing constantly.  It's a few years old now and has been well used, I even deleted most of my apps as they kept crashing, including Bloglovin, which has been causing me no end of problems.  But Monday was my birthday and my lovely husband bought me A NEW ONE!!!  I wasn't expecting it, we don't usually buy such big gifts but I am so happy, and that's how I took todays pics.

That's not all I've been sewing though, I also started


My cushion tops, layered and part quilted.  They would have been done but Hubby was waiting to take me out for my birthday so I didn't get them finished.  See the roll of graph paper?  I'm not telling you what it's for, no way!  It's my secret project for the Christmas in July blog hop and that's all I'm saying.

I also wanted to show you...


My mini from Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter.  Jennifer is a pattern designer and she designed this specially for me, isn't it beautiful?  She even used some grunge, one of my favourite fabrics.   By the way it is sticking to my design wall on it's own, no pins or anything, just in case you were wondering how good the flannel design wall fabric is.  Jennifer also sent.......


This little lot.  Four lots of fabric plus the Bee Inspired fabric, same name as Bee Inspired, the quilting bee some of us from the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers started, isn't that wonderful?  Only I can't use the black one.  Jennifer forgot and totally understands why.  I am just so terrified of bees and wasps.  I can't even use the fabric and if I turn the page in a magazine and see one I have to put the magazine away from me.  i used to be very embarrassed about my reaction but now I have accepted it and don't try to hide it anymore.  Did you notice the two quilt patterns?   They are Jennifer's own patterns available in her shop.  I have to make Water Vortex, it's lovely.

I haven't even asked you your opinion on quilting circles.


Here it is again, I was thinking of quilting around the circles and diamonds and then doing a meander in the background, but what about the circles?  They are too big to leave unquilted, any thoughts?  I already decided not to do concentric circles, I have to do those with my walking foot and it would be too much turning with all the bulk.  it has to be fairly simple mind, remember my FMQ skills are very limited.

Oh I do have another piece of good news, I know, I can hardly believe so many good things can happen to me in a week either!  This week my improv quilt back I showed you last week has been featured by Susan from Quilt Fabrication on Midweek Makers!  I am so surprised and so honoured, I even get to change to the I've been featured button, have a look, it's on my sidebar.

I was going to show you.......... well, this post is long enough, so I will show you next time.

Until then,
With Smiles from,
Kate x

Linking up with:
Midweek Makers
Wednesday Weight Loss
Needle and Thread Thursday
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Finished or Not Friday
Quilting is more fun than housework hosting for TGIFF

39 comments:

  1. Kate, I'm so glad you're getting Circles basted. I know it's been hard going but you are finally near the end! Not sure what to suggest for the quilting but how about straight lines through the circles? So glad you like your mini, even if I goofed and sent the bees. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you passed it on. Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are thrilled with Jennifer's mini! Great job! I had an idea of orange peels in the circles, I emailed you a pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kate, all kinds of goodness happening here! Your circles quilt looks tremendous. I spray baste. I've never had any problems with it. You are a lucky girl to get such a sweet package! Congratulations for being featured on Midweek Makers. Good luck deciding how to quilt your circles. If I think of something, I'll shoot you an email!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your circles and enjoy that Ipad - i have had mine for several years and the corner in the upper right now has a crack in it - still working but I wonder for how long

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been very busy! I love all of your projects.

    What about loops in the background of your circles quilt? They're just as easy as a meander, and would fit so well with the circles. Maybe quilt each wedge of the circles separately? You could echo inside each wedge once or twice to keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a coincidence! My iPad has been slowing and doing strange things. Sarah told me it is too old. So my SIL checked the Apple site,and ordered me a like new refurbished one, only one year old, full warranty, and a terrific price. Got the first one the same way. My birthday was on the 6th and so I said Go for it. It is gold colored, the only choice an iPad Air ? It's coming in two days. So we both have birthday iPads. Congrats on being featured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Circles is a great looking quilt! I suggest stitch in the ditch within the circles, and then just a background fill. Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been a busy...butterfly! I completely understand having a strong, fearful reaction to something. Would you believe my phobia is sailboats?? I don't mind seeing them, but am terrified to be on board one while it is sailing. Yes, that is kind of awkward when you live and socialize in the boating world :) "Um, no, I really DON'T want to go anywhere on YOUR boat..."

    I love your Circles quilt and am excited that you're getting to the quilting now! Have you seen Angela Water's book "Shape by Shape"? It is full of easy to follow, step by step directions on great ways to quilt each shape. There's a whole section on circles, triangles, hexagons, etc. I use it All.The.Time. for ideas! Angela makes everything seem really easy.

    This drawing, which is from the book's review on Amazon, shows the circle shapes. Most are much easier than they look to stitch. Maybe that's enough to give you some ideas, but I also recommend the whole rest of the book :)

    Drawing: (you might have to cut and paste this URL into your browser to see it?) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/09/1b/37/091b37828a1ab4ccab4e55e012c58cdd.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like you've been busy anyway, Kate! I baste on a table and Campbell Soup Diaries has a tutorial on it that I heartily endorse. No crawling on floors for me, I only did it once. Looks like you've got some good suggestions or quilting the circles. Perhaps you could do simple radiations through the centre. Congratulations on being featured (well deserved - I love it) and a happy birthday for Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your circle quilt is lovely! I really love the vibrant colors. Congratulations on being fearured, such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your circle quilt is lovely! I really love the vibrant colors. Congratulations on being fearured, such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had plenty to show us Kate!! I too used to pin into the carpet when basting and I could never get the hold of masking tape .... 505? Not for me - but I just don't like the thought of glue on my fabrics. You're well ahead for Christmas in July - I had better get my thinking cap on - are they antler tops I spy?!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your new iPad! Don't know if you were already doing this, but there are several drawing apps that are awesome for doodling FMQ designs. For instance, you can import the photo of your quilt top or block and then draw different designs right onto the photo to test them out, over and over again, all right on your iPad with a stylus, like I did here: http://cheekycognoscenti.blogspot.com/2017/03/technology-toys-for-renaissance-girl.html The app I used for that is a coloring app geared towards children, but the key feature I love is that I can import any JPG to be my "coloring page" and then when I have an idea I like, I can save it to my camera roll in my photos. Very user friendly. Also, don't sell yourself short with your FMQ skills. If you can stipple the background smoothly, you probably can do better FMQ than you give yourself credit for. Have you tried to FMQ along a marked line? If you used a stencil and water erasable marking pen to mark your design in the circles ahead of time, you'd probably be shocked by how good a job you can do, especially once you remove the pen marks and give the quilt a run through the laundry. What about curved lines in the circles to create the illusion that they are 3-dimensional spheres?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, Kate, so much fun in this post! You have had a great week! Those little mug rugs make me smile (ok, I won't ask, but I am curious). I want to unroll the graph paper and see what you are up to for the blog hop (I need to do a practice run of mine). I want a mini from Jennifer after seeing yours :-) and I love your circle quilt!!! I have no ideas for quilting the circles, but I look forward to seeing what you do come up with. Congrats on the feature with Quilt Fabrication too! A good week indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you had a super week! I totally get what you said about the Bees, I am exactly the same way with snakes...terrible nightmares when I see one, can't touch a paper or magazine if there is a pic of one. Yes to what Louise said about Angela's book, it is a good one. Also check out Christina Cameli's book http://www.afewscraps.com/2017/04/free-motion-quilting-practice-from-your.html-I have the step by step freemotion one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Busy girl,enjoy your ipad.Your circle quilt caught my eye,and have fun sewing your new pattern.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for a new iPad! That was very very sweet of your hubby and will make things so much easier for you. I think you've been quite the busy little bee. Glad that you were able to get the wadding pretty quickly so that you could get circles all basted up. You will be quilting away before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always have an action packed blog post! Circles...it's about time! (LOL) I'm anxious to see where you go with the quilting. I don't know what I would do, most likely let it sit for a few weeks! Basting! I'm a pin baster. Give me pins, carpet and I'm good to go. I do spray baste on minis sometimes but I rarely have it on hand. Get going lady! I wanna see how your next week pans out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you are busy. I love the circles. !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I swear I typed a comment on this post yesterday but when I went back to look, nothing there. :( Sheesh! I remember commenting on how you still managed to have a very interesting post despite the saying you have little or nothing to show. Silly lady! :) I really like the improv back you put together. Bright and colorful! Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt your Circles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lucky girl-a new Ipad! I am terrified of bees and wasps and they love me. They don't bother anyone else if we're outside but they buzz me. I can't even look at some of the things made with this line, and I know what you mean about pictures in magazines. And on TV forget it! I can take spiders, snakes, mice, but bees-NO WAY! Love your blog and can't wait to see what you're working on for Christmas in July.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a fun one. I adore those mug rugs! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your new Feature Button-how good are you-you'll get that circle quilt yet-forge onward! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your circle quilt is lovely! I love your doll mug rugs as well! Did you use a pattern? They are precious! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gosh , so much going on . Congrats on being included in midweek makers . Nice to have recognition! Hope the new iPad goes well . I take photos with my I phone , and email them to my windows surface laptop thingy to include in my blog . All very time consuming . I have a big canon camera but no card reader . And lastly , I love those circles

    ReplyDelete
  26. Forgot to add , if I have Spray I spray and always loads of safety pins . On a table , no floor space big enough

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh you've been really busy Kate ! Your circle quilt looks great !

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, I agree, you had quite a week! :o)
    I attach the backing and the wadding to the floor with masking tape (use loooooong strips, short strips usually come off easier). I love the circles quilt but have no clue how to quilt them. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good Morning Kate,
    Wow - that quite a lot accomplished considering you have 'little or nothing to show' us! I love the circles ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was quite a week! Your circles are amazing, great work! Very modern, but I have no idea on suggestions for how to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! You have so much going on!! Gorgeous makes, and so productive! I'm jealous lol!! I love your circles quilt! Good luck getting it fully basted! <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have one word for your circle quilt: WOW! Stunning! Ok. that was two words. Congratulations on being featured. You do like improv.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I forgot to tell you that those are the cutest little mug rugs I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations on being featured!
    A new iPad ..... how super! We need a new laptop ..... maybe one day!
    Can't help with ideas for quilting ..... as you know I'm far too new to quilting ..... but I'm enjoying reading all the information you are receiving! I'm sure you will be finished in no time!
    Love the mini from Jennifer! Oh, and your mug rugs are just darling!!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! You had lots of things to share with TGIFF this week. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such great finishes and works in progress! I love the circle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy birthday and congrats on the ipad and great hubby! It's always wonderful to read/hear about a good guy treating his wife like a princess.
    Your circles quilt is lovely. I'd use a different motif in every circle but I like lots of quilting to look at when the viewer gets close. Besides that it's a way to keep from getting bored while quilting. I love Leah Day's website for lots of motif ideas. (She may still call it 365 days of quilting.) Whatever you do, have fun with it and that will make it shine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wish you a very happy birthday. Yay on a new iPad. Whenever I download a pattern, I save it in iBooks on my iPad. I love that feature. I am so looking forward to the Circles quilt. Whatever you choose, it will be juicy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Kate,

    I haven't been prompt reading my favorite blogs. Happy belated birthday!! So many good things going on for you. Love the circles quilt so much. It looks amazing and you did such wonderful work with the curves. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate