Pages

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Catching Up

It's been a while since I last blogged, sorry for just disappearing, I didn't mean to be away as long but life happens.

I haven't been doing much quilting, very little in fact but I can show you what I have done and what else I have have been doing too.
This is where I'm up to on Tina's wedding quilt, the front is in three pieces and I haven't even started on the autograph panel on the back.  It should have been finished end of May, in reality it MAY get finished end of July or August depending if I can manage to use the sewing machine.

The other wedding quilt for Chris and Sarah I still haven't started putting together and Postcards from Sweden still has only four rows done.................sigh................

I did get my May bee block done for Velda who blogs at Freckled Fox Quiltery though.
A cake block!  Velda asked us to make our favourite cake but as lemon drizzle would have looked a bit boring even though it is so very delicious I chose a raspberry cake with vanilla cream and whole fresh blueberries, I love fresh raspberries and blueberries on cereal.  You can find out how to find the free pattern for the cake blocks on the Bee Inspired blog.

I have been to Higham Hall and had a wonderful weekend embroidering.  I didn't make any progress on my big piece but I did start another small piece.  I can't show you my teachers sample which is made in calico gardens colours (creams and neutrals) but I can show you my work.
A quilted bear, this is stitched all in needle weaving which is just like other types of weaving, long threads from one side to the other then the cross thread is woven through.  The pattern is made by varying the colours of the threads and the number of over and unders, such as over two under one.  I have since bought a book on needle weaving.
It's a lovely little book if you want to find out more about it, with easy to follow excellent diagrams and it's spiral bound inside so great to have open while stitching.

What else............... my parents have had their 65th wedding anniversary, Blue Sapphire.
Here they are on their anniversary.  They were pleased with the greetings card they received from Her Majesty the Queen, Mam said it was a much nicer picture of her than the one they received on their 60th anniversary where she looked quite stern.  By the way the picture in the background is cross stitch, I made it for Mam about 20 years ago and it's still one of her favourites.

Oh and we have bought a holiday home in north Northumberland.  We really want to move there but it is so expensive so we compromised.  We don't go on holiday much because of the girls, it's usually just an occasional week in a cottage and as my husband is past retirement age although he is still working but fewer days, it seemed the right time to do something.  Want to see some pics?
The girls love looking out of the window, this was taken before we had a veranda fitted, now they can enjoy being outside without being on a lead.  What do you think of my view?  The site is wonderful so much space, and there will never be any more put in front of us either.  I wish I had a sunset pic to show you, it is right beside those trees, fantastic.
 I have some inexpensive Ikea throws on the sofa's to protect them from the girls.
 Central heating and an electric fire, it is residential standard and can be used for eleven months of the year.
Remains of our first evening, the wine was a 'housewarming' gift from a friend, we opened the champagne we received from the site owners Anne and Jamie at Barmoor Castle Country Park (yes it does have a real castle), the second night.

Want to hear the not so good stuff that is stopping me sewing?  I've been complaining about pain in my hip for about a year now, I woke up one morning to dreadful pain from my back to my toes on one side.  I have inflammation in my back affecting my sciatic nerve and at the minute all I can do is hobble about the house, I can't sew I can't drive, nothing.  I have been feeling very sorry for myself and in a right mood.  I haven't been blogging, reading blogs, I've hardly looked at any social media, and it's high time I got myself out of it.  I'm still in a lot of pain, especially on moving and it doesn't help that I can't take painkillers apart from paracetamol, I have some anti inflammatory cream for my back too.  I have an appointment with the physiotherapist in a couple of days, fingers crossed it settles down soon.  It's transient it won't last forever, that's my mantra.

The lovely Sue who blogs at Sevenoaks Street Quilts has very kindly sent me samples of all the new Kona colours.
It was exasperating when they added the new colours so soon after I splashed out on a colour chart, no wonder it was such a good price.  I haven't bought any fabric for ages, but until I finish the wedding quilts I am resisting and after all, there is always a wonderful new range being released isn't there?

I have started some knitting in the meantime.  Now I'm not a great knitter, the last time I did any was for our granddaughter Emily before she was born, matinee coats and cardigans for new borns are about my limit.
This is where I'm up to on my favourite pattern, the bottom is stitched up to make a scalloped edge.  The pattern is very old, at a guess about 50 years, it belonged to my auntie who knit it for my children and kindly gave me her pattern about thirty years ago so I could make it for my niece.  Now I'm not saying I'm making it for any particular baby, I'm not making any announcements here, but with a dozen nieces and nephews as well as our own kids there is often someone having a baby.

The only other thing I have been doing is reading, distraction therapy.
This is the first book in the series Earth's Children.   I read it several years ago and it is well worth a second read.  You know how you buy books which are ok but you know you wouldn't read them again and you pass them on or give them to a charity shop?  This is one of the books I kept, I have lent it out a couple of times but it has earned a permanent place on my bookshelf.

It is described as 'the first novel in Jean M. Aurel's magnificent epic of life on the glacial continent of the last Ice Age, when two kinds of human beings, Neanderthal and cross-Magnon, shared the earth.'

We all like different kinds of books, this one has almost 600 pages and if you are looking for a new book I highly recommend it.

I'm hoping to be back quilting soon I'm in the Christmas in July blog hop next month so I really need to get started.  Yes I do know what I will be making and no you can't have a hint.  I just hope I can remember how to do the linky thing for the pattern which of course will be free as always.

I'm not sure what I will be blogging about next time, I can't guarantee it will be quilting but it won't be what I had for lunch hehe!

Until then,
With smiles from
Kate x

Linking up with
Wednesday Wait Loss
Midweek Makers
Let's Bee Social
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?


42 comments:

  1. So GOOD to have you back, Kate! I hope your appointment has some good solutions for what is causing you so much pain. Love your wedding quilt. Those colors are so bright and rich. Your mom and dad don't look old enough to have been married 65 years! And your new place looks like such a peaceful retreat. Good for you guys! You may have missed all the hullabaloo about blogger comments so I'm e-mailing you info about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, I followed your advice but I'm not sure if it has worked yet as I haven't had any notifications so far. Mam and Dad were in form that day, full of fun. I am so lucky to have both my parents, they have four children, fourteen grandchildren and I think twelve great grandchildren so far with at least one on the way.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dogs, and a wonderful view, couldn't ask for more. What did you have for lunch by the way :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok do you really want to know? Today I had Branflakes and sliced banana with semi skimmed milk. If you are not in the UK Branflakes is a breakfast cereal, but as I don't always eat breakfast I sometimes have it for lunch. That's me!

      Delete
  3. You never have to apologize for taking care of yourself. I hope that the hip pain is very transient and on its way to being much better soon. I really like The Clan of the Cave Bear. I waited for years for more books to be released and was disappointed enough that I still haven't picked up the last book that was published in the series. The first 4 I read cover to cover multiple times, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne, it means a lot. There are six books now, I don't think the last one was as good as the first five as I remember, but I have just started book 4 on the re read.

      Delete
  4. Being a former cake decorator, I instantly knew that was a cake block! To cute, and I love your layers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Susan. I was very happy with the way it turned out, the fabrics just seemed to work which of course influenced my choice of filling.

      Delete
  5. A great catch up post, Kate! As you start feeling better, you’ll start sewing again. Your cake block looks delicious! I feel pretty confident physio will be helpful. Fingers crossed! I love to knit, but I’m not very good at it. I haven’t read Clan of the Cave Bear in many years. Might be time to follow suit and revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the best of knitters Karen, it has to be an easy pattern and a small item, but it's something I can so just now. My problem with reading is once I start I can't stop, nothing gets done until I finish the book and I can be reading until the small hours. Even when I was a child I can remember my Dad saying 'it's no good speaking to our Kathleen once she's got a book in her hand'.

      Delete
  6. I looked in my inbox and saw your blog and thought, "Oh good! Kate's back. I've been missing her!" Congratulations to your parents on their 65th! Cute photo of them! Congratulations to you on your holiday home; the view is gorgeous, and your girls were certainly sitting pretty. The needle weaving looks interesting too. I'm so sorry to hear about your back pain. I had similar pain awhile ago, and I know how much it hurts and drags one down. Stay in touch with us so we can cheer you up! So good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Wendy, it's lovely of you to say so. I'm having good days and bad days just now but it won't last forever. The needle weaving is very easy and I have so many threads from when I used to do a lot of cross stitch, before quilting took over my life!

      Delete
  7. So nice to hear from you, Kate! I'm sorry you've been laid low by back pain, no fun at all. I've been forcing myself to do my stretches every morning or I'll stiffen up like an old dried twig, but I HATE stretching. I call it "yoga" to seem more trendy, but ugh.

    Anyway, I love your new holiday home!! It's so beautiful and light and airy, and that view is wonderful! I'm sure the girls are happy to be with you there, too. I completely understand making these sorts of decisions because of the pets. We actually decided to start our life 15 years ago in our RV/caravan because of our pets, so we could take them with us on our travels.

    I hope you are able to get in some creative play time with fabric and/or yarn, whatever works for you while you heal up and recover, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your kind words Louise. Indi is not the best of travellers but the journey only takes about 1 1/2 hours so it's not too far for her but still feels as if we are away. Now I need to get my older machine serviced to take up there.

      Delete
  8. I was wondering what you've been up to. So good to hear from you. Sorry that you've been hurting. Hopefully, that will not last much longer. the wedding quilt is looking lovely. I remember seeing your cake block when you posted it on our Facebook page and thinking how lovely and real it looked. Enjoy your times you get to go to your holiday home. I'm looking forward to reading more of the things that keep you busy. I admire anyone who can knit. I tried it but wasn't good at it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. Tina only asked for a rainbow and left it all to me, I'm hoping to get in one piece maybe the end of next week, I'm going to try using the button on my machine to start and stop instead of the foot control.

      Delete
  9. Your new holiday house looks great - what a dream! It looks nice and cosy indoors with that fire going and a lovely green area outside. I was a big fan of the clan of the cave bear series but haven't read it for many years. Thanks for the thanks - if I'd known you were going to show it on your blog i would have tidied up my handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holiday home is wonderful Sue, it's posher than my home. I wouldn't worry about your handwriting, it's much neater than my messy scrawl, even when I have tidied it.

      Delete
  10. Glad you've rediscovered your blogging mojo :-) Being in constant pain is emotionally very draining and it must be so frustrating not being able to sit at your sewing machine. Your holiday home looks just wonderful. And congratulations to your parents on reaching their 65th Anniversary :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison. I so want to get some quilting done now, I think I could sit at the machine for a short while but I can't work the pedal yet.

      Delete
  11. Your holiday home looks fabulous, I am sure that you will have many happy times there. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes we have missed you-so sorry you are dealing with a painful ordeal, I hope it gets resolved soon. Your holiday getaway looks so wonderful-great views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a miracle cure from the physiotherapist next week Vicki, some days I think it's improving next day it's gone backwards, but it won't last forever. I'm hoping for a nice sunset pic this week, if I remember my camera.

      Delete
  13. we have missed you! glad you posted. such a nice holiday home I hope you can use it a lot! congrats on your mom & dad's anniversary - and the Queen sends a card isn't that nice!! I hope you well be feeling better really soon the sciatic can be really bad I know I have not had the problem but hubby did in the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I am just realising how much I have been missing. The Queen sends cards on anniversaries after 60 years at five year intervals but they have to be applied for, although it's one thing there isn't a charge for. She also sends them for 100th birthdays and ever birthday after. It used to be telegrams years ago, Mam has the telegram sent to her mother and father for their diamond wedding in 1972.

      Delete
  14. gosh what a lot going on. I did wonder where you were, and thought you were just suffering post wedding and wedding quilt fatigue like myself. Sciatica is much more awful a thing. I think the key word with your quilts is May! As you say, not May month, but may in 2018 .... and a holiday home! how lovely. I have badgered for one for years but he never succombed, nearly but not quite. I will warn you, knitting is as addictive as sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Helen the holiday home was a bit of an impulse. We had previously thought about a camper van but there wouldn't be enough space with the girls. This is much better, it even has two bathrooms and one has an admittedly small bath, love it.

      Delete
  15. So good to hear from you again! When you're in pain it can color your whole life dark. So proud of you for fighting that! You've shared so many lovely things with Wednesday Wait Loss. So thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really missed you Kate. I'm sorry to hear about how much pain you are in and I do hope it goes away. It's great that you have a holiday home to visit at least on occasion and I'm wishing you a recover and lots and lots of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. I hope that you won't feel too grumpy from not sewing--I know I would. Your holiday place looks lovely and the dogs seem to be really enjoying it too. Physiotherapy should be very helpful, make sure you do your exercises and it will take time but you will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to have you back, Kate! I'm sorry to hear about your pain and I hope you are able to get some relief. Your holiday home looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear about the sciatica problems. Hopefully you'll find some relief soon. I have a similar problem, only it's my left leg that hurts. Thankfully regular dosing with anti-flammatories when I have a flare up keeps mine in check. Good luck finishing off the wedding quilts. The holiday home looks gorgeous! Hope you get lots of time to enjoy it. (There is place for you sewing machine?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’ve missed you Kate! So sorry to hear about the whole sciatica problem. I hope by now you have found some relief. It is really miserable to have constant discomfort and be unable to do the normal things during the course of the day. Even if you aren’t sewing much, I am glad to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to read your news, Kate!
    Sorry to hear about your back pain, hope it will be easily sorted!
    Sweet knitting! Congratulations to your mum and dad on their anniversary. Glad the Queen looked better in the current card.
    Your holiday home looks amazing, and the girls look really happy there too!
    Love the stitching you did at Higham Hall, and the book on weaving looks really helpful! Always better when they’re spiral bound, so much easier to keep open.
    I really enjoyed catching up with you.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back to blog-land. I too noticed your absence. Have you considered an anti-inflammatory diet? I'd be happy to share what I have learned about it... email me at davemelvanolan at aol dot com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a new visitor and follower. I have been looking at that needle weaving book and ordered it this morning. Hope you start to feel better.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  24. You certainly are doing all the right things to keep busy while you can't sew! I hope you actually get some relief from the pain and start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Read the whole series. You will love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Kate,
    Nice to have you back again. Everyone deserves a vacation. But it's great hearing from you on the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, I smiled when I saw Asher!! He's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate