Pages

Sunday 1 March 2020

Following in Paula's Footsteps - A Special Blog Hop



On Saturday, February 8, the quilting world lost one of it's true treasures.  A sweet and generous quilter named Paula Budinger.  

A celebration of Paula's life will take place on Sunday March 1st in her home town. In honour of her life and love of quilting we would like to invite all of you to participate in a blog hop to commence on May 6th, which would have been her 79th birthday, until May 8th.

Creating a Quilted Legacy - Following in Paula's Footsteps



Before I give you any more details let me tell you a little about Paula.

Paula of PaulaB Quilts, began quilting in 1980, she was a consistent supporter of multiple quilt charities such as Project LinusJack's Basket, and Covered in Love.  Quilters are such generous people, most of us make charity quilts, some of us occasionally, or for appeals, and others, like Paula, make most of their quilts for charity. These are the unsung heroes of the quilting world.

Paula started her blog in 2015, you can read her earlier posts on Blogger here and her more recent posts on Wordpress here.  She enjoyed collecting vintage doll quilts and 19th century quilts and developed an interest in studying old vintage quilts.    She often spoke of her daughter and granddaughter with great pride and lots of love.  We want them both to know how much Paula was loved here in our online community.

Paula loved bright colours and tackling new challenges, she took part in lots of challenges, like the RSC, and more recently joined a group called The Endeavourers which has a quarterly challenge to make a quilt by interpreting a theme.  Paula followed lots of blogs and was very supportive to other bloggers with her lovely constructive comments.

In the blog hop we would like you all to make a quilt for a charity, whichever is closest to your heart, and share your creations in the hop. This is open to all quilters, and if you are a new quilter we would be delighted if you joined in. If you don't have a blog no problem, just send one of us a picture of your finished quilt and we will post it on our blogs with your name and the charity to which your quilt will be donated (or you can remain anonymous if you wish).

If you do have a blog, we would love for you to post our button on your blog, I'm not very techie, like Paula, but you can grab it from the sidebar at Color Creating and Quilting
Special thanks to Lorna @Sew Fresh Quilts for giving us permission to use one of her quilt designs for the button.


There will also be prizes!

Each comment left on a blog post will get readers an entry to win several prizes, so the more comments left the more chances to win a prize (bloggers as well as readers are eligible for prizes). The list of prizes will be announces later. Participants with blogs are welcome to offer prizes on their own post if they wish but it is not required.

 Please contact either Kate (Smiles From Kate) @ smilesfromkate@gmail.com, Janice (Color Creating and Quilting) janice@passionforperfume.com  or Karen (KaHolly)  @ ksroy54@hotmail.com if you would like to participate and let us know which day you would prefer, 6th, 7th, or 8th, and if you can be flexible.

I do hope you will join us in honouring Paula's Quilted Legacy.

Here is a selection of Paula's quilts from her blog.















10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see this - I was wondering if there was something we could do to honor Paula. She was a lovely lady, and I'm so glad I had the honor of getting to know her just a bit, certainly not enough. Please count me in. I'm flexible on dates. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is going to be a wonderful tribute to Paula. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the invitation to participate in this Blop Hop honoring Paula's contribution to quilting for a cause! We communicated fairly regularly over the past several years and I would be happy to make a quilt for Jack's Basket to donate in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tribute, Kate. I’m proud to be involved in this effort with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too will take part and make a quilt in Paula`s memory though not go on the blog hop as I have not one my blog for over 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so sad to read of Paula's passing. Thank you for holding this tribute blog hop! I signed up through Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I signed up through Janice, also, but one of the quilts you've shown, and some patterns I collected a couple of years ago, make me think that this is the time to make the quilt I thought I might make from them, and do it for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula was a constant on the RSC posts. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. The blog hop is a great way to remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry I can't participate on this occasion but I hope the blog hop goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She will be missed. I'd be happy to join in the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate