Pages

Wednesday 17 January 2018

I Hit My Goal!

I am very happy to report I am up to date this week, for a change.  In fact I am going great guns this month, oh what a good mood I am in, I'm just a simple girl at heart and it doesn't take much to make me happy.

So, what have I done to affect me so?  I finished the signature blocks for Tina and Stuart's wedding quilt!  This was also my One Monthly Goal for January, Happy Happy!


Here they are on my design wall, well some of them.  This won't be the final arrangement of course but when I finished them I couldn't resist putting them up to have a look, what do you think?

The background fabric is a Moda Bella solid in a warm white shade, I can't remember the exact name but it's not the bright one.  The coloured strips are from Alison Glass Sunprints 2018 range and I chose fourteen different shades, fourteen because I wanted bright happy fully saturated colours and so I didn't get any of the white, cream, or grey shades and I didn't get any of the dot and squiggle ones either, although I'm now warming to them.

I cut two 2 1/2 inch strips from each colour and  fourteen 3 inch white strips for the signature panels, then it was just a case of stitching two of the same colour together with a white strip in the middle and  giving them a press.  They measured at seven inches wide so I cut the strip sets into seven inch squares, I got six blocks from each strip set except the green which was a little short and I only got five.   I must say there is a fair bit of variation in the selvage, on some there is very little white edge and on others a good bit more, which is probably why I could only get five green blocks.  It doesn't matter, I only need 61 blocks and I still have 69.  I wanted extra in case anyone messed one up, or wrote an inappropriate comment Tina wouldn't have been happy for me to include.

Speaking of writing comments, thank you all so much for your advice on the pens, it was most helpful.


I decided to go with the Pigma in the end, some of you mentioned how Sharpies can bleed and others how Pigma ink has withstood many washings on older quilts.  I bought six, do you think that will be enough?  I didn't want to buy too few in case anyone went off with them and they all disappeared before everyone had signed them, but they are quite expensive so I had to take the cost into consideration too.  I have another wedding in May, my son Chris and his lovely fiancee Sarah, so they will be used again then.  I thought I might just put four out and keep the other two in my bag in case they are needed.

I will iron freezer paper to the back of the blocks as some of you also mentioned.


I have had this roll for over ten years, I don't use it often now but it is handy to have in.


I also need to put some quilters tape at the edges of the signature panel so people don't write in the seam allowance.  When it came I read the back and it said not to leave it on for longer than one day though.  So, I'm testing it to see how long I can leave it on for.  I will take one strip off after a week and the others at weekly intervals.  Not that it will be on that long, I just want to know if it will mark. Not that it matters really after all it is only the seam allowance, but it's nice to know.  There is loads on the roll, thirty yards, and I only need five inches for each block so it will do both quilts and then some.

That wasn't all I did this week though.


I took Baby out of her little bed in the table and raised it up so I had lots of room, then I cut out the blocks for my secret quilt.  I am so happy I started it, I'm just waiting for the extra fabric I need and then I can start sewing it together.  Want a sneak peak?


No, sorry, not allowed!  I'm sworn to secrecy and it's not my secret to tell!  But I can tell you it is wonderful and I can tell you a bit more next month.  Until then you will just have to wonder!

So that has been my week so far, AND I'm posting this today, late in the day, but not tomorrow.  Yes, it's been a good week, none of the oldies has been ill, Hubby finally got a new suit for his daughters wedding, and the sun has shone a couple of times, I'm happy.

So until next time,
With smiles from,
Kate x

Linking up with:
Let's Bee Social
Midweek Makers
Wednesday Wait Loss
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?



28 comments:

  1. Great job, Kate! Must feel real good to make your goal. Now you can relax until the wedding! Hmmm. Secret sewing. The fabric looks great and I bet it'll be a fun project. Can't wait to see what it is! Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are marking for seam allowance - the quilt I made with signatures required the bride to get a few signatures redone as her elderly grandparents didn't understand the whole thing and wrote over the whole block into the seam allowance - we had extra and it was discovered after the wedding was over but she got the signatures a couple weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wedding quilt blocks look great, so nice and bright for the young couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh secrets, that sounds fun. I like your idea for a signature quilt too. I tried that many years ago for my mil 80th birthday. Only problem was I gave blank squares, and everybody wrote close to the edge. Most used a biro, and some did one signature for a whole family. And my brother got cross, because my daughter went around collecting signatures with a distant cousin and apparently left out my niece. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Love all those wonderful colours of signature blocks. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those colors on your signature quilt. It's great when everything comes together. Have fun with your secret project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a lovely week and I could feel the excitement and energy as I read your post. The blocks look lovely and it sounds like you got a lot of great advice and feedback. I like your testing method, you will be well prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay you. Sounds like a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Kate! You’re making amazing progress! Good job! It was great talking with you Saturday! Such a pleasant surprise and s much fun to chat! Keep up the good work! Can’t wait to see what lurks behind those keep out signs! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so organized with the wedding quilt! It's going to turn out so lovely with all the bright colors and signatures. Good job making your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That will be a very wonderful and bright signature quilt....and I love how you always like to string us along with the blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The signature quilt is great. I love how bright it is! Looks like you will be well prepared. Can't wait to find out what the secret is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The signature quilt looks great! I'd definitely hold at least two pens aside, just in case. You are such a tease with that surprise quilting! I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, you have got to be one of the most thorough people I know. You think of everything! Marking off seam allowances, extra pens, testing tape. No wonder all of your projects turn out so lovely. Way to go getting your January monthly goal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, glad to see that everything's looking up for you this week! I love all the colours on the signature blocks. It took me a little while to work out that your surprise quilt isn't brightly coloured stripes. Is that going to be the front of your wedding quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your signature quilt is looking great! Having extra pens and marking the seam allowances are great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's looking great! Love the bright, fun colors you've chosen. And I can wait for the secret to be revealed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I can feel your happiness in your writing today-makes me happy for you:) I love how the quilt is looking, fun and bright. How about tying a string around the pen and hooking it onto something-it won't disappear so easily then. Or do like some stores do and tape a silk flower to the top of it-one that matches the wedding flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting.........?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt looks great. They will cherish it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I'd put my signature squares on point. I made mine for a family reunion a couple of years ago. I just told everyone to keep away from the edges, but, I did iron the freezer paper to the back of the signature part.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your signature quilt looks great!!! They will be so pleased with this gift of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so great! I love the colors! I think 4 pens out and keeping 2 in your purse is a good idea. And marking the edges for seam allowance is brilliant! I sent fabric to family to decorate for my grandparents' 60th anniversary and though I mentioned seam allowance, a few family members drew into it. It's going to be a fabulous memento!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As far as having people write where they are supposed to goes, I had 5 signature blocks I had to redo/trace because they wrote on the freezer paper side. I used 9" squares and this helped to stabilize the fabric for writing. Also there were so many people who wrote out to the edges that I finally just gave up and sewed them like they were. It is a very worhtwhile project though so don't stress too much if people don't follow directions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The signature quilt looks lovely! Great colours. Micron pens are fantastic. I love them for drawing on paper and on fabric.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope this last week was as good as the previous week. You made great progress on the signature blocks. Looking forward to seeing what you've got in the works. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The rail fence blocks are beautiful in their simplicity. I am sure it will make a beautiful quilt. And if those dots and squiggles (that did not make the cut) are bothering you, you can send them my way :-p
    Secret - aha. You are so clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love simple girls like you, so like me! I always say it doesn't take much to keep me happy, sunshine being one, also like you. Exciting the top secret sewing, I have some of that too, and need to focus on it this week as I have the same deadline... WONDERFUL wedding quilt, I just love Allison's Sun Prints. I should probably ask my daughter if she wants a wedding quilt...hmmm... and yes Micron all the way IMHO; I have had excellent success with my labels where I've used them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate