Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2018

Quilt updates and Wedding Stuff

Oh I have had such a busy two weeks, it has all revolved around the wedding of my son and his most beautiful bride of course, however, I have found some time to get into my sewing room.

First the quilting bit, I will show some wedding stuff at the end if you are interested.

I did a little more on Postcards from Sweden, I now have four rows stitched but not stitched together.  Of course the quiltalong by Sandra at MMMQuilts is now over but hey, as long as I finish it I'm still a winner, yes?


So this is it on my design wall, only my design wall isn't wide enough of course, I'm thinking of buying some more fabric and making it wider although it will go behind the door.

Next, yes I'm jumping between projects again, but I really want to get this one done and finished.  Tina and Stuart's wedding quilt.


Tina wanted a rainbow of colours, I have used all the fabrics from the signature panel which will be incorporated into the back and I added a few more, all Alison Glass which blend beautifully together.  The blocks are set 8 x 10 but I'm making it slightly wider and adding another row to the width.   I'm using a pattern by Northcott,  for the front, it's an older pattern but I had a hunt around in the archives and finally found it, the pattern is available as a free pdf.

All the blocks are made, as there are four blocks of each colour, except two where there are only three  as I added an extra ten blocks.   I divided them into four lots with one of each colour in each, using one group at a time I have a more even spread of colours and fabrics.


Once the front is finished I plan on getting straight on with the back. The signature blocks are a reverse of the front, white in the middle bordered by colour and will be set on point and I plan on maybe a narrow border or something and then to set it into a single fabric chosen from those already used, any thoughts on that?

The last thing I have done was to finish preparing the blocks for the wedding of Chris and Sarah.


The blocks were already made so all I had to do was cut 48 pieces of freezer paper and iron to the back of the signature bit and add the quilters tape to the front.  Here they are ready for signatures and messages.

Of course the wedding took place a few days ago and here they are now.  I can't show you all of them but here a one or two of my favourites.


Memories to treasure.


Such creativity.


And as you can tell putting tape on the edges worked well.


You have to get the 'Geordie' dialect to really get this last one.  Geordies is a name given to people who live in the area of Newcastle upon Tyne in England and like other dialects it has certain words and phrases it uses unique to the area.  'Mint' is to describe something exceptionally good and 'like' is used as an emphasis.

That's all of the quilting stuff for today so now for the wedding bit for anyone who is interested.


My heart is full, I can't yet think of the wedding without being moved to tears, rarely have I seen a couple so in love as these.  As she walked down the aisle she looked neither right nor left, her eyes were locked on his and her face was wreathed in the most beautiful smile.  As I turned and looked at him the love in her face was reflected in his and his eyes were full of tears, as were half the congregation.


I'd like to share with you the reading I did at the ceremony, they wanted a day full of joy and laughter and so I chose a humorous reading.  I did change a few of the original words and omitted one of the verses so it was more a reflection of them as a couple and more natural to my way of speaking.  I'm sure you will easily find it if you would like to read original version.

He never leaves the seat up – Anon

He never leaves the seat up
Or wet towels upon the floor
The toothpaste has the lid on
And he always shuts the door!

She’s very clean and tidy
Though she may sometimes delude
Leave your things out at your peril
In a second they’ll be moved!

He romances her and dines her
Home cooked dinners and the like
He even knows her favourite food
And spoils her day and night!

She’s thoughtful when he looks at her
A smile upon his face
Will he look that good in 50 years
When his dentures aren’t in place?

He says he loves her figure
And her mental prowess too
But when gravity takes her over
Will she charm with her IQ?

She says she loves his kindness
And his patience is a must
And of course she thinks he’s handsome
Which in her eyes is a plus!

There's neither of them perfect
But who are we to judge
He can be pig headed
Where as she won’t even budge!

But when all that's said and done
They love the time they spent together
And I hope as I’m sure you do
This fine day will last forever.

He’ll be more than just her husband
He’ll also be her friend
And she’ll be more than just his wife
She’s be his soul mate - till the end.


Here is a pic of my husband and I as I know a few of you are interested in my wedding outfit.


I used the same shoes bag and fascinator I wore for my stepdaughter Tina's wedding in February but the dress and jacket I bought specially.  As I knew Sarah's Mum was wearing blue I chose pink although the background of the dress is dark blue which is overlaid with dark blue lace with flowers and leaves in various shade of pink.  You can't see but it has short sleeves of just the lace.


Me and my sis.

Now for the fun ones.

 Me and my sis, daughter and granddaughter.
 Who said my husband doesn't do fun?
Three months after their wedding Tina and Stuart are still partying with their daughter Emily.

That's all for today, I'm off for a little cry now and to stitch some more blocks together.  Two children married within three months has been a lot to cope with but it may be a years until we have another family wedding so I have lot's of time to recover.

Fingers crossed I should have a finished top for you next week.

Until then,
With smiles from,
Kate x

Linking up with:
Midweek Makers
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?



29 comments:

  1. what lovely hats you wear! the wedding looks great and that all had fun. Now to ask - what kinds of pens were used for the signature quilt blocks - the writing looks so crisp and fine point

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me say I love your hat! You looks so wonderful in your wedding outfit! The tape on the signature block was a great idea. The thoughtful words and drawings are going to be cherished for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm also a little teary now with you! Omg, you lucky, lucky mom!! Beautiful gals all around, and the sweetest sentiments turning into a quilt for the new couple? I have to say thank you for sharing what is obviously one of the best days in your life with all your extended quilt family out here. Congratulations to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful idea for the wedding quilt! It looks and sounds like a wonderful time at the wedding. Your look lovely. The bride and groom look amazing and so happy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kate, I so enjoyed reading this post! The notes on the quilt blocks, the amazing wedding photos (beautiful couple), the cute reading, and the fun photos! What a fun celebration for all of you! You looked so lovely in your wedding attire! Thanks for sharing special moments in your family's life. I hope you have time now to put your feet up and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful memories and golly, what creative guests! The signature blocks are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the worst at weddings for crying! I start the minute they start up the organ music in the church and i don't stop till about 10 minutes after. Love those messages - we use the word mint here too but then Australians are from everywhere. and undoubtedly from your part of the world. Love your outfit - did you and your sister shop together or do you both have amazingly similar taste? :) It's normal life from here on Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you shared wedding pic's, they are such a beautiful couple. And you and your sister-a picture to treasure. And your sewing progress is wonderful, hopefully you'll have more time now for sewing therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much love and happiness!! Now I'm a bit teary eyed, too. You look absolutely gorgeous in your wedding outfit, and I love the photo of you with your sister. I'm sure the bride looked at all of you and decided your son was a good bet to have handsome children :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dream wedding, beautiful Mum and Dad, love the words, and those bright colours in the quilt.Love, laughter, and happiness all sewn together with more love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful photos, I am so happy for you all. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post, and so full of happy things! You look great, and the wedding couple looks amazing as well. I'm sure the signature quilt will be a great reminder of the happy day. Your blocks worked out so well! I think after all the happy tears and emotional upheaval you deserve some tea and stitching time. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved each block, every picture and every detail in here!!! Felt like I was there at the wedding in all the merriment and the celebration. Your smile is radiant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was all about the happy and the QAL can wait. I love the signature blocks; they are quite creative and I'm sure the bride and groom will love them. The wedding looked beautiful and so do you. How lucky you are to have a sister who could be your stunt double. It's too bad that your post couldn't have been a video.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! Great photos! Of both the quilts and the wedding! Those bright colors sure are yummy! The wedding pictures and wedding quilt though, made me think of our boy's weddings. Two in a year. But we had a few more months to recover (thank goodness) than you did.
    I've been working on a signature block project of my own and can't wait to see what people write on their blocks. Reading these has me especially excited, and it happens this week! Thanks for the (vicarious) encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post, gorgeous outfit and the happiness of the wedding is obvious in just those few shots. Best of luck with the quilt, I enjoyed making a signature quilt for my son and his bride in February too - in their wedding colours of pink and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate, you and your sister look so royal in your hats! What a beautiful bride and handsome groom! What a special quilt it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos! Your signature quilts are amazing! Looks like you all had a wonderful day!
    Hugs
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with Postcards. The wedding blocks look great. The signatures are very nice. Your looked beautiful in your wedding outfit. Now that the weddings are done, you can take a breath and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful wedding! The signature quilt is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness - that's a lot of wedding quilts! And you look wonderful - love the fascinators you two are sporting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, those wedding pictures are so BEAUTIFUL! I can tell you are so happy for the two lovebirds. Not to mention a proud mama! You have been getting a lot of sewing done on your wedding quilts. I am excited for you to get those finished and move on to something new and adventurous for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a delightful post, Kate! I’ve been so busy...it has taken a nasty cold to make me sit still long enough to catch up readin my email and blogs. You signature quilt backs are both going to be awesome! Well worth the effort. You, my dear, are a gorgeous mother of the groom!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely wedding! Thanks for showing some of the signature blocks; I especially like the one with the hand & wedding drawn on. Lots of love in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have been busy. Good luck on getting the wedding quilts together. Looks like you've gotten a great start. Your son and bride are a lovely couple, all the best to them in their new life together. Love the fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for letting us have a peek into your personal life. Loved all the sentiments. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely post! So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing some of the signatures and the wedding pics. Love your fascinator too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful post about such a beautiful event. Like you, seeing my children marry makes me so emotional and it lasts for quite a time afterward. It is just so special and hard to describe the feelings it brings up. Love the quilts and the poem you read is really sweet. Best wishes to the bride and groom!! My youngest son is marrying on September 22 this year so I am just getting into the wedding preparation, bridal shower planning etc. Take care Kate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate