Pages

Friday 3 November 2017

It's been........

one of those weeks where I feel as if I haven't done much but I have lots to show.  This is a change from the weeks I feel like I have accomplished so much but DON'T have much to show for it.  Do you ever feel like this?

Any how, I have been making Dog Gone Cute blocks for Karen at KAHolly who is making quilts for hurricane victims.  Karen is one of the nicest quilters I have ever met, and it is lovely to do something to help her so I made


this block.  If you haven't seen the blocks before they are designed by Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts as part of a free quilt along.  There are six different dogs in all in two different sizes and you can find them on the introductory post.  If you are familiar with the blocks you may notice that this block, no 5, is slightly different.  Jennifer from Inquiring Quilter changed the ears on this dog when using it as a bee block, Lorna loved it and shared it on her blog last week and as I have two springer spaniels I just had to make it too.  Jennifer posted the details on how she made spaniel ears on this post if you are interested.


The second block isn't quite finished yet, I have a head cold, the first one in years, and have a touch of cantbebothereditis, but I should get it finished and in the post in the next couple of days.  This one is Ella, and the previous one is Indi, after my two.

Oh I haven't shown you this weeks Gypsy blocks have I?


An easy week this week, three hourglass blocks, and as I forgot to take a pic before I went on to the next stage you get to see them in all their glory, with one and two borders and bordered with square in a square.

Last week I forgot to show you pics of two snowman cushions Elspeth is making,


 Elspeth hasn't quite finished them yet but tells me how much she is enjoying making them by hand.  They are bonded appliqué as in the pattern but Elspeth did all the buttonhole stitches herself whereas I just used the sewing machine.  I must say the stitching is beautiful, so even.  The templates and tutorial is available free HERE if you missed it.

One thing my sewing room lacks is drawers, but after seeing a pic on Instagram from Anja at Anja Quilts I paid a visit to Ikea.  I ended up buying a similar one,


What do you think?  I meant for it to go under my sewing table but it's a little taller than I thought, or it could be that my table is a little lower, but anyway I love it, perfect for all the bits and pieces I use all the time and have to hunt for.  I could do with one or two containers to keep it tidier and I've just thrown everything in as you can see, but I can see where everything is at a glance and I love it.  So thank you Anja for the inspiration.

Finally, I got such a lovely surprise in the post from Helen at Midget Gem Quilts,


a lovely pouch with some goodies thrown in too.  You know the feeling of surprise and happiness when someone gives you something and it is totally unexpected?  Well it arrived today, just when I was feeling sorry for myself with this cold and it's cheered me right up.  I love the fabric Helen used for the pouch and the bright blue zip is perfect, I love it.  Thank you so much Helen, it is so very kind of you.

So, that's all for this week, although I haven't shown you the fabric I forgot to show you last week, hmmmmmm, I will show you next week, promise.  AND, if I remember that is, I will tell you about the book I was given which belonged to my mother in law Edna given to her by her mother in law Sarah, I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Until then,
With smiles from,
Kate x

Linking up with:
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?
Finished Or Not Friday
Summer Lee Quilts hosting for TGIFF

20 comments:

  1. I needed some extra drawers too to toss in quilting things and had to measure under my table to see how tall it was so I could find something - almost all I found were too tall - finally I found one it is ok and will work but I wish I could have found something else

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen a cart like yours...and I love it! Ikea is the best! Sorry your feeling under the weather, it isn't fun and sure makes being productive hard. I've had 'cantbebothereditis' a time or two. Ride it out, it doesn't last long!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drawers will come in so handy especially since they have wheels and you can move them around. I hope you are feeling better, nothing can make you feel slow and tired like a head cold. Sick aside, you kicked some major quilting booty this week, with your puppy blocks for Karen and finishing off your Gypsy blocks. Hope you feel much better soon, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are great! I plan on doing the Dog Gone Cute quilt next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new cart, it should help you keep things nice and handy. So wonderful of you to make the puppy blocks, I am sure she will appreciate them a bunch. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet to get a giftie from Helen! And you're right, Karen of KaHolly is just so nice. Aren't quilty friends great??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks. Love those snowmen. I like the cart that you got. Didn't see that one. Hope it keeps you organized.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get over that cold soon, it just has to run it's course, but how lousy it makes you feel! Rest, stay warm & drink plenty of fluids! Feed a cold, starve a fever! Love your dogs block- I will have to see if there is one that looks like a schitzu-poo, as is my Sara. Really, rest, it is the best medicine, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are starting to feel better. Hearing from friends must cheer you also. The dog blocks are so cute. With the colors, it looks like your spaniel. And such a soulful expression. What a nice surprise package that was from Helen. For organizing your cart a bit, plastic food containers are great, especially the ones with lids. And they are free! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well for someone who was under the weather you did quite alright. I love all of your blocks; the doggy blocks are the best. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, an entire quilt made from your snowmen would be adorable! They have such sweet personalities! Nice doggie blocks and cart too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the doggie blocks you’re making me! When I get to Tx, I’m going to add a few more with floppy ears! They are just adorable and will be a great addition to the mix! Thank you! How much fun I’ll have sharing what I accomplish with all those blocks. Just about when everyone has forgotten, there I’ll be with a pile of finished pieces to be auctioned off. Everyone has been wonderful. Quilters are the best. And I am so appreciative! You make me want to move the Gypsy Wife quilt pattern to the top of my wish list! Love your blocks! Yay, Helen, for being so thoughtful and lifting your spirits! Random email is so much fun! Feel better! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great addition to your sewing room! Love that the cart has wheels. Won't it be nice to have all your things so handy? I know I'd love it. Sorry about your cold, but wasn't that the sweetest thing to lift your spirits? Thanks for the shout out. The Done Gone Cute block variation does look just like your sweet doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blocks and progress! The cart looks like a wonderful sewing room addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the puppy blocks, those are so cute. Hope you are feeling better. Head colds are absolutely no fun at all. Glad you found something to help with the bits and pieces, I did that earlier this year and what a difference it makes knowing where all the bits are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those drawers! I was so pleased to see that Lorna added the link to Jennifer's doggone cute adaptation. Your Gypsy Wife blocks are so great, I love seeing it come together block by block.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It certainly looks like you made lots of progress! Head colds are no fun. I hope you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snowmen, drawers, puppies and goodies too!!! Here is a post bursting with all things sweet and wonderful - must be Christmas already :-) I am drooling over the colorful Gypsy blocks.
    A very productive week sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your versions of Jennifer's dog block. How great that Lorna shared it on her blog! Nice to see you treated yourself to new drawers 😉

    ReplyDelete
  20. hoping your head colder is a little better, its rotten to start the winter this way, or are we still in autumn? The two snowmen look great, applique is never my strong point. I am glad you liked your present!
    I have been talking about that ikea trolley for a while, but I would have to tidy my room to get it in!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate