Pages

Friday 8 May 2020

Creating a Quilted Legacy Day Three


My cup is overflowing with all the wonderful posts and comments I have read, I feel we have done Paula proud. So many quilts have been made which will benefit those in need as a result of this tribute to Paula, she would have been chuffed to little mint balls.

Today I would like to show you a child size quilt I made for the Linus Project, it is 39 inches square which fits in with the child size guidelines of 36 - 42 inches square, or 36 x 42 inches.

Before I show you can I just remind you to read down to the end of the post where you will find the list of all the quilters who are taking part over three days. You will also find the list of prizes which will be drawn after the close on Friday May 15th. Remember, the more comments you leave on all the participating blogs over the three days, the more chances you will have of winning a prize. As it doesn't close until the 15th you will have time to go back if you missed any. The quilters have all made a special effort to participate and it's nice to get some feedback.

NOTE! I also have an announcement which you will find near the end too.

So, back to my quilt. When I was rooting around for fabric for the teenage quilt I featured on day one, I came across a children's charm pack. I remember buying it at a small quilt show in Harrogate in the north of England and it was at a time when there wasn't a lot of pre cuts about, and certainly not for children. When I got home however I discovered the shop had made it up themselves and it was so disappointing. I ended up binning some of the fabrics which were dull and dowdy and certainly not children's fabrics. There were some nice ones, but they were relegated to a box.

Anyway, I got them out, counted them, and had an idea. If I cut some squares to match in I would have enough to make a children's quilt using a pattern I had never made before, so here is my finished quilt......



A split nine patch. The fabrics I added were the two purple spots, the blue spot, and the pink floral, which has cute little ladybirds on.

Why haven't I made this pattern up before? It's so quick and easy but looks like I did loads of work, well, it does to me anyway. To be honest I just cut it up on Sunday, yes, five days ago, I have NEVER made a quilt that fast before I tell you. Monday I stitched the nine patch blocks together and cut them into four. Tuesday I rearranged the pieces and stitched them all together again. Wednesday I made the back (hang on and I'll show you it in a minute, I'm in the flow), layered and quilted it. Yesterday, yes, yesterday, I made the binding, machined it on, and hand stitched it on the back. Honestly, it's a good job I'm retired, I would never have managed it if I had to go out to work. Now you know why I am running late with my replies, but I will try and catch up today, promise.



This is the back. I found 80 cm of a Disney print I had bought to make a little changing mat for my grandson (but didn't get around to it). I cut five strips as wide as I could, and left a little extra on the two end ones. I calculated what size the red ones needed to be, and just sewed the strips together. I used more of the red solid for the binding. It's more for a toddler to me, but when he grows if he feels the front is too babyish he can always turn it over and have it as a strip quilt. The front is for a boy or a girl really, but I think the back looks more boyish. I wouldn't mind making this pattern again, I can't believe I have never made it before after quilting for so many years.

Now, for our special announcement.

When I asked Janice to join me in this blog hop we had no idea how much everyone would get on board and enjoy the ethos of quilting for charity in a tribute to Paula. We are overwhelmed with the wonderful positive response, therefore, we have decided to do it all again next year, with the help of our wonderful assistant, Karen of course, who's help and support was invaluable. The hop will be on May 6th Paula's birthday. I'm not sure about the number of days it will run for, it depends on the number of quilters who would like to participate. We will start the planning next January and open our files for participants then. We do hope many of you will participate, and again if you are a non blogger you are very welcome too. You all have a whole year to make a quilt!

Here is the full list of all the quilters, those who are posting today, Friday, and those who have already posted. I have redone my links for the two previous days so they should take you straight to the post, not just the blog.


Wednesday, May 6

Karen @ KaHolly

Kate @ Smiles From Kate

Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts of my Quilting Life

Bernie @ Needle and Foot
blogs over all three days, the more comments, the more entries. Please leave your comments by
Friday 15th May to be eligible for the prize draw. Those winners who live outside the US will be eligible for gift certificate and pattern prizes only, due to international postage charges, sorry. Winners to be announced one week after closing.

All these wonderful ladies have donated prizes for this charity blog hop for which I thank them so much, especially at this most difficult time in history. They are listed in the order they arrived.

Lorna, Sew Fresh Quilts, $50 gift certificate for her pattern shop.

Yvonne Quilting Jetgirl, 2 PDF patterns of choice.

Bernie Needle and Foot, $25 certificate for her shop.

A fat quarter bundle from Figo Fabrics

A set of quilty gift cards from Initial Thought by DMF Note cards set 1

A pattern of choice from Karen, Sugar Free Quilts

A $30 gift certificate for Doris, Cactus Queen Quilt Co

A PDF pattern of choice from Joanne, www.etsy.com/shop/CanuckQuilterDesigns

$25 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop
(donated by Janice Holton)

The Enlightened Spaniel books 1 and 2 by Gary Heads, to acknowledge Paula's love of reading. This prize will be shipped internationally and is included in the draw for all three days.


So, in the words of Bugs Bunny,

'That's all Folks'

With smiles from,
Kate x

50 comments:

  1. Great job on the fast child's quilt and wonderful tribute to Paula. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little quilt. How creative you are! I had never heard of the Jacks quilt project until recently. What a wonderful thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omigosh...such an adorable Linus quilt...gonna be loved to pieces by somebody

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cute as can be, Kate! And wonderful idea to make this an annual event, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula would be so pleased that you gals are doing this and on her Birthday too. Yes that is a great pattern, effective and fast! I love making this type.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! A great quilt that will bridge the years for the sweet child that receives it. A great tribute to Paula. Thanks for hosting this hop in her honor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your hosting the blog hop, Kate -- it's such fun to meet new quilt bloggers. Your quilt will be a welcome comfort for whomever receives it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt in Paula’s honor. Thanks for hosting this hop in her honor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun and cute! And you put your "quilting thinking cap" on, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I possibly would like to participate next year if you have this blog hop again. Keep me in mind. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Love your reversible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can already tell you that I'm in for next year! This is a great quilt for any child, and what a wonderful, fast finish. Congratulations for all the thinking that went into it and having a beautiful quilt to gift a special child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun quilt, both front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my favorite size quilt to give as baby presents. The size is perfect to cuddle with no matter what age. I have also seen my daughter use her toddler cuddle quilt as a "thinking cap" wrapped around head! This blog hop was such a wonderful way to honor Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been wanting to make that pattern also. It turned out to be a wonderful quilt and is a wonderful way to remember Paula. Our guild is making skinny quilts for the Youth Detention Center to put some color in their spaces. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. How terrific that you will do this again next year! A great tribute to a quilter and her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how cheery this quilt is and it is going to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your quilt. I’ve been wanting to make a split 9 patch quilt. Guess I should get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a wonderful thing for Paula's family by allowing us all to join you in honoring her memory, Kate. Thank you for hosting and your little Disappearing Nine Patch is SEW cute!! It will make a small child very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't it great to be retired! So much time to do what we love. You've made such a joyful kid's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for honoring Paula in such a wonderful way and allowing all of us to see the beautiful quilts you and fellow bloggers made in her honor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute child quilt! It looks like it would work up fast. cknapp3626(at)sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. This has been an uplifting and inspiring blog hop and I've "met" a lot of new quilters. What a great idea to do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did great scrounging up the fabric for a quilt. It is bright and cheerful. Making this an annual thing is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This hop is wonderful and I wish I had time to have participated right now. However, I am living vicariously through all the gorgeous quilts. Your linus quilt is the perfect cheery one for youngsters. Well done and thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I'm glad you are doing this again next year. It will be a wonderful way to celebrate Paula's 80th birthday. Thanks to all of you for your work to put this together. Even though the loss of Paula is sad, this hop has been a bright spot in a very dark time, and I think she would be honored to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kate your quilt is darling! I love the pattern, the colors, and the backing too. I'm excited about doing this again next year! I hope Paula's family is aware of all this response to celebrating her life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the back of this quilt as well. What a fun charity quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice quilt. Showcases fun fabrics perfectly! Someone will truly love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your quilt is adorable! It is a fun, quick pattern to work with. It will bring joy and comfort to a little one. You’ve certainly outdone yourself, Kate. Not only was the hop a success, but your three posts were all perfect and fun to read. You and Janice make a good team! I look forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The disappearing nine patch was a great way to use up some less than favorite scraps and the Mickey fabric on the back makes it even more charming. And great job in getting it done in record time. I've enjoyed the hop, seeing all the quilts and meetings some new quilt bloggers. I didn't really know Paula except by seeing her linkups on several blogs, but this was a wonderful way to honor and remember her.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was a good choice for a quilt and you did well with what you had! It is nice all these folks are honoring Paula I read her blog once in a while and she sounded warm and sincere.

    ReplyDelete
  32. lovey the disappearing nine patch is one of my favourite blocks. Do you still go to Harrogate quilt show, I go every year usually helping Jennie Rayment but she is not going this year mind you it might be cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great quilt for the cause. Love the colors and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really wish I had known Paula because, as I visit with everyone on the hop, I can feel the love that everyone had for her. I'm sure she would love all of this being done in her honour. Thank you for the invitation to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, that's just the cutest little thing! I love that block pattern, so fast and easy. And you're right, it looks like you've done a ton of work! The extra fabrics you added are just perfect. Some child will really treasure this, Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really like the vibrant colours on your split-9 patch and will have to give that block a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a nice little quilt, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  38. An adorable quilt. You made good on that charm pack.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cute quilt! Love the pieced back on it

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a fun quilt you're donating to charity. I love the surprise of the Disney backing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the backing fabric, and I'm always a big fan of a "disappearing" pattern. But what I am especially a fan of is the spirit of love and charity that is so strong during this blog hop. Thank you for carrying on the legacy of such a special person.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So glad you have gotten a great response....lots of quilts being donated. And so wonderful that you're going to do it again next year. Your quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a pretty quilt. So sorry about Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So I too would like to know why I've never made that pattern before! It is darling! You have been a production machine Kate! And making super cute things while you're at it! I'm just now getting around to visiting last Friday's blog posts! Thank you so much for thinking up this blog hop as a memorial for Paula! One of the best ideas you've had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this so much, Kate! Disappearing 9-patch looks great with novelty fabrics, I'll have to remember that! Thanks so much for this hop; it's been lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great way to remember Paula. She would have really enjoyed the hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate