Pages

Wednesday 6 May 2020

Creating a Quilted Legacy Blog Hop, Following in Paula's Footsteps, Day One



Hello, and welcome, today we are celebrating the life of Paula Budinger, a wonderful quilter, blogger, and friend, who sadly died earlier this year.  The hop is taking place over three days beginning today, which would have been Paula's 79th birthday.

Paula of PaulaB Quilts, began quilting in 1980, she was a consistent supporter of multiple quilt charities such as Project LinusJack's Basket, and Covered in Love.  What better way to honour Paula than a blog hop where all the quilts showcased are destined for charity. If you would like to read more about Paula you might like to read my earlier post or read Paula's blog.

You will find the list of all the wonderful bloggers participating at the end of this post, along with a full list of sponsors, prizes, and eligibility.

I decided to make my quilt for Project Linus. I checked their website for size guidelines and chose to make a teenage quilt, which is 42 inches square, or up to 42 x 48 inches.


I found it so difficult choosing the fabrics, especially as we are in lockdown. I just didn't have what I wanted, or not enough. Then I came across a black and white jelly roll, or part of one anyway. I had just enough to make a quilt 42 x 46 inches, although I suspect it's actually an inch or so wider. Of course my husband was holding it the wrong way when I took this snap, the strips are horizontal rather than vertical, but no matter. All in all it looks crisp and modern for a teenager.  I used a bright red binding to compliment the black and white, and


quilted it using a variegated king Tut thread in red, green, and yellow, using organic wavy lines.  After all, it's meant to be cuddly. 


Luckily I had a length of a lovely blue/green solid for the back, it was a better choice than the florals and stuff hanging around in my cupboard believe me!

Here is the full list of all the other bloggers participating, please call in and check them out.

PRIZES!


Here is the full list of prizes, entries are obtained by leaving a comment on any of the participating

blogs over all three days, the more comments, the more entries. Please leave your comments by

Friday 15th May to be eligible for the prize draw. Those winners who live outside the US will be eligible

for gift certificate and pattern prizes only, due to international postage charges, sorry. Winners to be announced

one week after closing.



All these wonderful ladies have donated prizes for this charity blog hop for which I thank them so

much, especially at this most difficult time in history. They are listed in the order they arrived, I have

my eye on a couple but unfortunately I ruled myself as ineligible, sad..........


Lorna, Sew Fresh Quilts, $50 gift certificate for her pattern shop.
Yvonne Quilting Jetgirl, 2 PDF patterns of choice.
Bernie Needle and Foot, $25 certificate for her shop.
A fat quarter bundle from Figo Fabrics
A set of quilty gift cards from Initial Thought by DMF  Note cards set 1
A pattern of choice from Karen, Sugar Free Quilts
A $30 gift certificate for Doris, Cactus Queen Quilt Co
A PDF pattern of choice from Joanne, www.etsy.com/shop/CanuckQuilterDesigns
$25 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop
(donated by Janice Holton)

Enjoy the hop everyone, and good luck in the prize draw.


With smiles from
Kate x




53 comments:

  1. I can totally see a teenage boy going for that quilt. sarahsgiftnship(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to honor this quilter's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black and white with a pop of red is an excellent choice for a teen! Bold and graphic. I love how the wavy lines show up so well on the backing. Super quilt, Kate! Thanks for coordinating the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your color choices and pattern! Nice wavy quilting. I started to wavy quilt on mine but my arms get tired when I do that - lol.
    Thank you for all your hard work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use for a jelly roll--I have a collection of them myself and need to use them up..thanks for sharing ~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to honour Paula. I wasn't able to participate -- not enough time. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely way to honor your friend. The quilt will be well used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like the perfect use for a black and white jelly roll! I think a teenage boy's going to love it. Thanks so much for organizing the blog hop for Paula, Kate! I'm going to enjoy reading all the posts as well as participating myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post, Kate! Paula would be so pleased. You have the gift of words and your tribute is perfect! Some lucky teenager will be delighted to receive your quilt. I like that it’s gender neutral! Quilts for 'the male species' are probably in short supply! Keep safe and stay well. Thank you for working so hard with Janice to organize this hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, I think Paula would be pleased with this post and with the quilt. The quilt is so nice with it's neutral tones, and definitely looks cuddly. Just right for curling up with a book or for a nap. Thanks for organizing the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt will surely be loved and cuddled! A very nice tribute to Paula and her generous spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make quilts annually for our local Project Linus chapter that goes to a bereavement camp. The camp was cancelled this summer and they are holding off any donations until after the quarantine ends. Some kid will love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am partial to black and white fabrics. Your quilt is perfect! And what a special way to honor a fellow quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing about Paula and working to help organize this hop, Kate. The quilt looks perfect for a teenager and I like the touch of red binding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a wonderful way to remember Paula and honor memories of her quilts, blog, and giving. She was such a sweet quilter, and you are sweet to gather quilters together to extend her legacy. Your jelly roll was just waiting for this time to make a quilt that will comfort any teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some child will be very lucky to get your lovely quilt! I’m sure that it will give them great comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the black and white fabrics, and the red binding is perfect!! This is a wonderful way to honor a special lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. excellent non-gender choice...no doubt it will be loved...

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful! Teen-agers are often omitted because they are more difficult to shop for, stitch for etc. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great cause, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilt. Enjoy your day! 🌻🌞 angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Kate -- your jelly roll strips look great in this simple, graphic design!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such an amazing way to honor Paula's life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for pointing out that Project Linus accepts quilts for teens. I had no idea. Yours is sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quilt and quilting and great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love black and white with red. Lovely quilt for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been working on Project Linus quilts too. Love your black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the red binding with the black and white prints, and that's the perfect quilting motif for this quilt! Someone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Indeed, black and white makes for a chic and modern quilt. It does look soft and cuddly. I am sure Paula would have approved.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You can never go wrong with black and white! Perfect for anybody! Great post in remembrance of Paula, Kate. Your posts are always a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilt is just right for a teenage boy, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Kate: I think this is a fantastic teen age quilt! Black, white and red look great and the variegated thread is a lot of fun. Thank you for organizing this hop. It is so fun to take part in it and it seems like there has been less blogging going on lately so this has really encouraged some activity (at least for me) which I appreciate. Take care. I look forward to reading the rest of the posts over the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would imagine any teenager would be thrilled to have this quilt, both male and female. Great way to make it wonderful for either. Love how you quilted it and the variegated thread was perfect for that little oomph!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Some teen somewhere will totally love that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing your quilt--I'm very fond of black & white combinations, as these were my eldest sister's favorite color combinations. Plus, the quilt I'm working on right now will finish out at approximately 42"x48", so it's nice to know it'll be a good size.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Black and white always makes great contrast for a block, or even whole quilt! Paula would be so pleased that you are donating this to a teenager. Your quilting is cool, too!
    duchick at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Terrific quilt Kate! That pop of red for the binding is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great job for a girl who had nothin in her cupboard! LOL. The backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the quilt. Only a great quilter can take a jelly roll and turn it into a quick beauty!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a lovely way to honor a treasured friend. Your quilt will bring a smile to some teen's face no matter which direction it is used.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very nice! I'm sure Paula would approve of "making do." It turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely quilt. Black and white is a winning combo.

    ReplyDelete
  43. so good to see your quilt and to see what others have made in memory of Paula

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love a black and white quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love all the colourful projects and your B&W is perfect for a teen blanket. All of them have such nice quilting too. I'm sure all will be well loved and comforting. Great way to make cat mats - what size are they?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Perfect choice of binding!

    ReplyDelete
  47. A wonderful teen quilt - I think it will be loved and wrapping a teen for a long time. Project Linus is also a great charity. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  48. So glad to see the teenager quilt. They are often overlooked. Nice quilt! cknapp3626(at)sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  49. I wish I had known Paula because it seems she was much loved. Thank you for inviting us to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Congratulations on managing to find a backing in your stash! I've been having a terrible time doing that since we've been on lock down. And thank you for sharing the spirit of a quilter to embodied charity, something I aspire to but have a long way to go before I come anywhere near Paula's whole-heartedness.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Such a fun quilt. So sorry about Paula.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate