Pages

Friday 27 May 2016

Changing the size and position of your buttons

I am participating in the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop just now.  It has been great so far, and I am learning a lot.  This week in small groups we had to critique each others blogs.  I found it the hardest thing so far but I just got on with it.  You have to be honest, we are all fairly new to this and if we don't get honest opinions how will we learn?

One thing that came up for my blog was my sidebar was a bit messy.  To be honest it was fair criticism, I wasn't happy with it myself but I didn't know how to change it.   It came down to the buttons.

They were different sizes and where some were in the middle, some were at the side. Now the thought of code scares me, but it’s a button, if I mess it up all I need to do is delete it, and go grab it again, yes?  I put my big girl pants on.




This is what I mean

So I looked at the code.



See where it says width 200?  I knew that was the size, so, what would happen if I changed it to 150.






Oh yes! It's now the same size as the rest.  But it's not in the middle.  So I looked at the button codes again.




You see the bit at the top that says <div align="centre">?



I copied it, and pasted it to the beginning of the one at the side I wanted to change.  Brave or foolhardy?



Oh Yes!!!  I'm doing my happy dance.  All that was left was to drag my buttons around and put them in the order I wanted.


Yes code is scarey, not all buttons have the size numbers in the code, one of my buttons is slightly bigger than the others and I don’t know how to change that one so I have positioned it at the bottom so it isn’t as noticeable.



EDIT

Thank you Gene who commented and gave some great advice.

Here is what I did to change that button size



This is the code for the button I need to change, look at the bottom line.



Now check this button code, again bottom line.   I am copying - width=“150”border=“0”



Now I have pasted it into the same position and saved it.

Now check my sidebar, perfect.

Thank you so much Gene. If you haven’t been on Gene’s blog before I suggest you check it out and have a good look around, it’s great, and it even has video tutorials.

So I'm challenging you, are you brave enough to have a go?


Smiles
Kate


25 comments:

  1. Good for you, Kate!! I had the same idea, and I'm so glad it worked because HTML is all Greek to me! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can copy the size thing from another button and paste it in (just be sure to put it in the same place in the code.) That is what I do to resize buttons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gene, I tried it and it worked so I have just updated the post and given you credit.

      Smiles
      Kate

      Delete
    2. Never knew you could do that - thanks Gene!

      Delete
  3. I'd say that is a great tip and I appreciate it as I would never figure that out on my own! I am so not techy at(as you know!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a rock star! This is what I have been needing to do! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH! I have wanted to fix mine up forever and now I can. You've made me so happy this morning! Thanks so much Kate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE playing around with code! I never knew that about myself until I started blogging, but it's something I really enjoy. I'm glad you figured out how to change the size of your buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! A few days ago I would have thought this was all gobbledegook but thanks to NQB I understand what you are talking about!!! Will now go an have a look at your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info! Heading back to my blog to do some clean up...thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're good at this! Can your next one be about making your own buttons? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, you really have a knack for this tutorial stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is something that I need to do with my messy sidebars. I didn't know I could add the six into html code if it wasn't there already. I make new buttons if one is too big for my sidebar and then just link it to the same place as the original. I like how yours are all even and lined up! Thanks for the tutorial Kate! (and Gene)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should say "add the size" not "add the six"

      Delete
  12. Aha! Saving this post and will clean my sidebar up again! I did last year in the NB Hop but it's gotten a bit messy over the past few months, and there's never enough time--!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you know, I just put on my big girl panties, opened up a Word doc to compare the codes of the buttons whose size I liked, and see where the variance occurred (mine had this:
      style="width: 200px;
      which gave the button a decent size, so I found that section of the code as you said, cut and pasted the good one in, and presto! Two buttons fixed so all my buttons align and are the basic same size without any "fat" ones lol.
      So glad I saved your post, and have now "loved" it in bloglovin' Thank you!

      Delete
  13. Wow. I'm so impressed that you figured this out. It would never occur to me to do this , but now I might.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Last year I participated in the New Quilt Blogger's Blog Hop and learned so much! Your sidebar looks fantastic! Giving a critique is hard, giving an honest one is even harder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate (and Gene) thanks so much! I've played around a little, very little, on the centering, but will try the resizing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job of explaining your new learning! Your side bar looks neat and tidy. It's such a great sense of accomplishment to master something new !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good job of explaining how to adjust the buttons in your sidebar. It sounds like you feel a sense of accomplishment in mastering a new skill! Your sidebar looks neat and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a great job of explaining about adjusting the buttons, and now your sidebar looks neat and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate!!! Thanks so much!!! Your post was just what I needed to fine tune the buttons on my blog. Your blog looks great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment, it helps me grow as a quilter and as a blogger. It also makes me very happy :)
I try to respond to all comments by email, but if I don't reply within a few days it may be because you are a no reply blogger

With smiles from,
Kate